We are a village hall in the heart of Cheshire countryside with the facilities, infrastructure, pricing and accessibility to host events for up to 150 people.
Our hall and site are flexible by design and our committee - and booking team - are sensible. We want you to come here and we will do all we reasonably can to ensure you do, although we don't cater for teenage parties.
A brief stroll through our history
From Conception .....
The Victory Hall was built in 1921 to remember the fallen villagers from World War One and created as a community meeting place for the villagers from local funds and benefactors. It was originally in a cross plan occupying about three quarters of the site we see now and officially opened on Thursday the 30th of December 1921.
The main hall was of timber construction with pitch roof - chosen to avoid the weight of a tiled roof - with the walls designed in a mock Tudor style to reflect many of the local buildings and to emphasise its importance to the community.
The Hall is split into two areas - the main hall with lighting and stage and the side (meeting) room with adjoining kitchen. In 1992, the hall was completely refurbished.
The Hall is also home to many village-based organisations including a Pre-school and is a regular place for locals - and wider - to hold a variety of celebrations and meetings in fine surroundings and at minimal cost. The Hall is also the spiritual home of the village Rose Festival which is very different from the many May Day festivals held throughout Cheshire, although the dedicated 'Mobberley Dance' and many of the pagan dances remain.
The feature clock - now preserved in the small meeting room - was a focal point of the village until the Millennium when it was replaced by the stunning new clock and in early 2015 monies were found from village funds to commission the incredible 7 feet high wood carving of a WW1 soldier with his head bowed which graces the front garden and acts as a local landmark.
To Modern Times .....
As with all small village facilities - Mobberley is actually the second biggest Parish in Britain - they take a lot of money, effort and work to maintain and to this backdrop, in 2005, the Men’s Club and Victory Hall amalgamated to form the Memorial Club.
The four interested factions within the village - the Mens club (now the Memorial Club), the Parish Council, the villagers and the Victory Hall committee - worked together to secure the future of the site and the users of the Victory Hall can now take advantage of the adjoining club facilities by prior agreement.
In 2014 the dormant and original Trust Deed Committee was recreated and since then the committee have created a three-pronged approach to creating a legacy for the village.
The present users of the Hall have had their long-term use guaranteed by a sensible pricing structure, and the future of the hall itself and the comfort of existing, planned and potential users has been (and will further be) enhanced by a programme of improvements.
Current users are mainly local in nature and include a highly-rated pre-school playgroup every weekday in term time whilst each weekday evening there are local activities for all age groups.
The maintenance and improvement programme has been extensive so far but kicked in fully in September 2015 with the replacement of all walls and cladding to improve both aesthetics and insulation. In 2016 the toilets were completely refurbished to incorporate disabled access.